Urgent Repairs


For urgent repairs please contact your property manager.

Urgent repairs are serious problems affecting the safety and security of the rental property, or failure of any essential service or appliance.

The types of urgent repairs you can organise to have fixed:

  1. a burst water service
  2. a blocked or broken toilet system
  3. a serious roof leak
  4. a gas leak
  5. a dangerous electrical fault
  6. serious storm or fire damage
  7. flooding or serious flood damager
  8. a failure or breakdown of any essential service or appliance provided by the landlord or agent for hot water, water, cooking, heating or laundering
  9. a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
  10. any fault or damage in the premises that makes the premises unsafe or insecure
  11. an appliance, fitting or fixture which is not working properly and causes a substantial amount of water to be wasted

If you are unable to reach your property manager our listed tradespeople include:

ELECTRICAL – Surelec 03 94164425
PLUMBING – Guardian Plumbing 1300 138 973

If it is outside of business hours and you require urgent repairs you should refer to the emergency contact details provided by your property manager. If you still cannot make contact, you are entitled to organise repairs, up to a maximum of $1800.

You must then provide the landlord with 14 days notice to refund the money.


The tenant should contact the property manager/owner or the nominated repairer (listed on the tenancy agreement) about the problem. It is a good idea to put the request in writing as evidence of notification.

If they cannot be contacted, the tenant can arrange for a qualified person to carry out emergency repairs to a maximum value of 2 weeks rent.

Emergency repairs are:

All other repairs are considered routine repairs.

If the tenant pays the repairer they need to give all receipts to the property manager/owner who must pay them back within 7 days.

Alternatively, the tenant may ask the property manager/owner to pay the repairer directly.


Urgent repairs fall into two categories: essential services and other urgent repairs.  A suitable repairer must be found within a reasonable timeframe.  There are some times when a tenant may need to arrange for the repairer.


Essential services are listed in the Residential Tenancies Regulations 1989 and include repairs to:


Other urgent repairs are not an essential service, but if not fixed might cause damage to the premises, injure a person or cause undue hardship or inconvenience to the tenant/s.


Once a tenant notifies the landlord/lessor of the need for an urgent repair, the landlord/lessor must take action to contact a suitable repairer and arrange for them to fix the problem.  A suitable repairer is someone who is suitably qualified, trained or licensed to undertake the necessary work, such as a licensed electrician or licensed plumber.

If you are unable to reach your property manager our listed tradespeople include:

ELECTRICAL – Coldspark 0488964757
PLUMBING and GAS – Endurance Plumbing 1300 436 387


The landlord/lessor has 24 hours to do this if the repair is needed to a defined essential service, and 48 hours for any other urgent repair.  The repair does not need to be fixed within this time but the lessor must make an appointment with the repairer to fix the problem.

The landlord/lessor must then ensure the repairs are carried out as soon as practicable after the arrangements have been made.


If the tenant is not able to contact the landlord/lessor within 24 hours for an essential repair and 48 hours for an urgent repair, they can arrange for the repairs to be carried out by a suitably qualified repairer to the minimum extent necessary.

If the landlord/lessor fails to ensure the repairs are carried out as soon as practicable once the tenant has notified them about it, the tenant can arrange for the repairs to be done to the minimum extent necessary. The tenant must also use a suitably qualified repairer.

The landlord/lessor is required to reimburse the tenant for any reasonable expense incurred for the tenant to arrange the repairs to be carried out and paying for those repairs. If the landlord/lessor does not pay the tenant back, the tenant can apply to the Magistrates Court to obtain an order requiring the landlord/lessor to reimburse them. The tenant should keep receipts and a record of contact with the landlord/lessor in case the matter goes to Court.